• Welcome to the blog of The Glistening Pearl!


    You'll find my inspirations, behind the scenes, sneak peeks, and upcoming events.
  • Have you visited my new profile page on Etsy?
  • Be sure to check out my Etsy shop's new About page too!

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Makapu'u Beach

I wish I could be bodysurfing here. Right. now. Wake up early on a Sunday morning just to catch the smooth, glassy surf and have the beach all to yourself... well, my brother would probably be there too, asking me to take pictures of him on his board (:

I'm can't remember exactly if it was a first date or just one of the many amazing adventurous dates from a summer fling that initially brought me to this side of the island. I was picked up around 7 or 8 am, and we drove to Makapu'u Beach. I could bodysurf, but I had never been here before. Even though the winds and current brought in loads of seaweed into the cove that morning, I was unfazed. It wasn't particularly clear, maybe even slightly overcast, and I kept surfacing with pieces of seaweed stuck in my hair, but the waves... oh, the waves. They were unlike any I had been in before. The surf wasn't perfect or crystal clear that day, but there was something definitely magical about that beach. It was peaceful, beautiful... It's taken my heart ever since.


January 2008
Makapu'u Beach
Oahu, Hawaii

Look at this water on a clear, glassy day. It's unreal. I can't even imagine seeing my feet in Santa Barbara's murky, cold ocean. (Sometimes I wonder, what am I doing here? But then I remember that I've been spoiled by 18 years in Hawaii hehe). The boyfriend is attempting to bodysurf in this one. It's harder than it looks!


August 2009
Makapu'u Beach

So here I am today, reminiscing about the love I left in Hawaii... Makapu'u. Enchanted by it's warm, (usually) crystal-clear blue-green waters. The lovely, powerful, yet thrilling sandy shorebreak. The cool morning breeze that eventually gives way to the delightfully warm sunshine. Take me back, please.

But now I have a little bit of Makapu'u with me. Presenting, the "Makapu'u Earrings." A cascade of quartz and chalcedony briolettes mimic the ocean waters I miss so dearly.

"Makapu'u Earrings"
SHOP

Maybe if I'm lucky I'll come home this winter and once again get to indulge myself in these waters.


0 comments: