• Welcome to the blog of The Glistening Pearl!


    You'll find my inspirations, behind the scenes, sneak peeks, and upcoming events.
  • Have you visited my new profile page on Etsy?
  • Be sure to check out my Etsy shop's new About page too!

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Winter in Hawaii

I spent 16 days in Hawaiian winter bliss this past holiday season with family and friends, but before I even had a chance to blink, it felt like I was whisked back to Santa Barbara. I didn't even get a chance to blog while I was there, and I almost didn't want to - I was trying to soak up every ounce of family (and warm, humid sunshine, I have to admit) as possible.









I was able to squeeze in a healthy handful of early morning body surfing sessions with my brother. This is probably one of my favorite things to do when I go back home. The crystal clear blue water is warm and inviting... the waves are clean, powerful, and beautiful... I would have come every day if I could consistently wake up in time. 
















One of my most memorable experiences from this trip back was picking beach glass with my mom and dad at their "secret" spot. They accumulated an impressive quantity for me to sort thru before I even arrived, but they (well, primarily my dad) wanted to go at least one more time while I was there (I think he's addicted too!).

It was overcast and a little windy, but we had the entire beach to ourselves. As we searched along the shore, we even came across a portuguese man-of-war, sand turtle, and extremely large crab! We found a beautiful selection of little treasures before the ominous clouds finally burst with rain and the wind attempted to sweep us off our feet. It was quite the spectacle to see us running around, trying to get our things together and find shelter within the car.


I have to admit, as wet and cold as that adventure turned out to be, it was well worth it. 
Here is one of the pieces we picked that morning...









I am so excited to present to you my newest design, which actually happened by accident! I wanted to turn this little piece of sea glass into a pendant necklace, but I didn't intend for my swirl to evolve into a heart. This one is just in time for Valentine's Day and probably the only one I'll be able to make in 2012.

Beach Glass Heart Swirl Necklace

It was so hard to leave Hawaii again, but here I am working on new designs inspired by my time at home. I think every time I go back it just gets better and better, and I can't wait to mosey on back again (:




0 comments: