• Welcome to the blog of The Glistening Pearl!


    You'll find my inspirations, behind the scenes, sneak peeks, and upcoming events.
  • Have you visited my new profile page on Etsy?
  • Be sure to check out my Etsy shop's new About page too!

Sunday, September 4, 2011

My Biggest (& Best) Critic

It was the week after getting back to Santa Barbara from a wonderful Christmas vacation in Hawaii - I had found beautiful pieces of sea glass during my frequent visit to the beach (I had to enjoy Hawaii's warm water while I could!). I found one frosted white piece that was incredibly smooth and pebble-like, perfect for my signature beach glass necklace. I figured that a simple picture of the pendant would be best, and I thought I had gotten some great shots. Nothing too creative but worthwhile posting on my blog (at the time I did not have an Etsy shop). 

My parents have always been so supportive of everything that I do, so I was very eager to show them my newest photos. I sent them an email as soon as I had finished editing the photos.

 
[Me]
Hi Mom and Dad, I made all these new pieces last week! It was sunny for just a couple hours this morning and I was able to finally take pictures. Let me know what you think :)
...

[Mom, 1 day later]
Hi Jen, The photos of the jewelry pieces seemed too white. I missed all the color, texture, and shaded light from the past. Although, I liked the pearl earrings. :)
...

[Me, thinking to myself]
:(


When I sent those pictures over, I knew they weren't representative of my best work but I thought they would suffice. I knew in the back of my mind that they were a little too white and that it washed out the details. (At the time I was still struggling with light, white balance, and clarity - making my pictures bright enough but not too light). I knew that the picture did not do this lovely pendant justice, but I guess I was hoping that no one else would notice. Wrong. And who was I kidding, I had an inkling that my mom was going to say something about it. (She had said something of a few previous photos I sent over the month before).


At first, the responses to my "let me know what you think :)" emails caught me off guard - I sent off photos to my mom thinking they were pretty nice, only to receive some "criticism" in return. (I put the word criticism in quotes because at the time it felt more negative than what I expected - or hoped - to hear, but in reality, I would call it advice). I let those pictures sit on my blog for a while because I really didn't know how to make them any better. However, it kept nagging at me that I was showcasing work that really just wasn't up to par... and my mom could tell. I really do value what my parents have to say, so it was a shock to hear at first - I don't think she's ever come off so honest before.

I came to terms that these pictures really weren't up to my standards, and that I should do something about it. I was capable of producing work of a higher quality so why just let my mediocre work sit? Inspiration struck, and I decided to re-take these photos (which I never do).

"Starfish Beach Glass Necklace"
SHOP

Needless to say, I was absolutely thrilled with the outcome.  The detail, the colors, the creativity... it was all there. Finally... I was truly satisfied.

"Seashell Beach Glass Necklace"
SHOP

And I have to say, thank you, Mom. Who else could I have counted on to be so straightforward and honest with me? Who else could have given me that little nudge of motivation to remind me that I should always be striving for the highest and never just settling, especially when I know (and they know) that I am capable of more. My mom's feedback is one really big reason why I think my photos continue to improve over time. She lets me know when they're not as aesthetically pleasing as they should be, and I am so so so grateful for her advice. I know I can always count on her to help me improve not only my photography and jewelry, but to remind me to always do my best in everything I pursue.

"Mini Sand Dollar Beach Glass Necklace"

 [Me, thinking to myself]
(: 

0 comments: