• Welcome to the blog of The Glistening Pearl!


    You'll find my inspirations, behind the scenes, sneak peeks, and upcoming events.
  • Have you visited my new profile page on Etsy?
  • Be sure to check out my Etsy shop's new About page too!

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Lo'ihi

I distinctly remember first hearing about the little underwater volcano, Lo’ihi, when I was in kindergarten. We were learning about the Hawaiian island chain and how islands are formed. My kindergarten teacher told us that a new island could potentially be forming off the south-eastern of coast of the Big Island of Hawaii. She told us that it would be thousands of years before any landmass broke the surface of the Pacific Ocean, but I was captivated by this possibility. A whole new island? An underwater volcano?? I tried to wrap my little kindergarten mind around this concept. I couldn’t believe it, but I was very excited… excited enough for me to remember that moment years from that day.

Lo’ihi is the youngest active volcano in the Hawaiian island chain. Its name means “long” in Hawaiian, describing its elongated shape. It was once thought to be a just an old, dead seamount, but is now seen as a bubbling active volcano 3,180 feet below the surface of the ocean.

Lo'ihi Earrings
 
The “Lo’ihi Earrings” have been inspired by this oceanic activity. Not only do these earrings feature long, elegant 14k gold filled earwires, which is fitting for its Hawaiian meaning, but they are also accompanied by red magma Swarovski crystal starfish, representing the volcanic activity spewing from the seamount. Small freshwater pearls sway alongside the starfish. 

These earrings are fun, fiery, and unique. I love how simple they are and how they were inspired. Even though I didn't grow up on the Big Island, they bring me back home.


 If you're interested, these earrings are currently available for sale on Etsy.

0 comments: