• Welcome to the blog of The Glistening Pearl!


    You'll find my inspirations, behind the scenes, sneak peeks, and upcoming events.
  • Have you visited my new profile page on Etsy?
  • Be sure to check out my Etsy shop's new About page too!

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Cannon Beach, OR

A friend from college invited the boyfriend and I to his family's beach house at Cannon Beach while we were in Oregon this summer. It was my first time making it out to Oregon's coast - so breathtakingly beautiful.


I woke up early one morning and walked along the water's edge to Haystack rock while it was still low tide. The tide exposed all the little sea critters clinging to the rocks, like this extremely large orange starfish! There were even purple ones too. Can you believe it? I don't think I've ever encountered such a massive starfish in its natural habitat. It probably could have covered my entire face. Squish squish.


As the tide started to rise again, I turned around and headed back to the cabin. I stayed near the water, hoping to find a few treasures as the waves lapped up against the sand. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted something white glistening just under the surface of the water a few yards ahead. I held my breath and ran over -- a sand dollar! A real sand dollar (no longer living, of course), completely intact and waiting to be picked up by a lucky passerby. Me!! I couldn't believe it. My very first sand dollar.


Summer has now come and gone, but at least I have a little souvenir to remind me of my wonderful summer road-trip adventure. This sea critter also inspired my newest collection of jewelry featuring sand dollars - head over to my Etsy shop to check it out.


My first show in Las Cruces is coming up this weekend! Stay tuned for more details!


0 comments: